When summer hits, there are three things I want to do ALL DAY LONG: lay on the beach, drink fruity drinks, and take showers (a girl can only handle sticky for so long). Showers seems like a tough topic for a blog post, so let’s talk about cocktails!
I made a pitcher of these for a Memorial Day BBQ – they are a perfect light drink to sip on a hot day with burgers and lots of guacomole. And there is something about drinking out of a jar that is so summer, don’t you think?
Check-list: Ellyn’s Summer In a Jar
- Mix or shake in a glass or cocktail shaker:
- 1 part mint-infused vodka
- 1 part blackberry-infused vodka
- 1 part club soda
- 2 parts lemonade
- Pour over ice
- Top with mint leaves and a lemon slice.
- Drink that mofo!
“But wait, Ellyn! What is this fancy, artisinal, grass-fed mint and blackberry vodka?” Don’t worry, babycakes, keep reading:
Check-list: How to Make Infused Liquor:
- Put some stuff (herbs, fruit, berries, whatevs!) in a jar
- Pour some liquor over it
- Seal and put in a dark place for at least a week
- Show up to a party with a bottle of fancy liquor and impress all your friends!
For a slightly more eloquent how-to, check out this Wired’s article.
Still thirsty? Here’s a quick check-list of more great summer drinks:
- Blackberry Bourbon Lemonade from Eat, Love, Drink
- Grub Street’s How to Make the Perfect Summer Cocktail Out of Anything
- Smitten Kitchen’s Porch Swing (one of my all-time favorites)
Bottoms Up, Friends!